Monday, August 31, 2015

Salads with a Twist

I like making my own salads at home.

I usually go to an organic weekend market near my home to buy fresh greens and salad ingredients. Last weekend, I bought some fresh fiddlehead ferns(also known as Pako in the Philippines) and made some yummy salads. Pako salad is normally offered in Filipino restaurants and is usually served with a vinaigrette dressing.

I prepared a pako(fiddlehead fern)salad with a twist by adding some truffle oil to the salted duck eggs and used a calamansi(Philippine lime) vinaigrette dressing. I made 2 versions of the salad.

Pako(fiddlehead fern salad) with prawns, salted duck eggs
 with truffle oil, cucumbers and tomatoes.
 If you prefer a salad without prawns, then this version of the pako salad is good.

Pako salad with salted duck eggs with truffle oil , tomatoes
and cucumbers.

With a little creativity, it is easy to turn a simple dish to a gourmet dish at home. The truffle oil simply enhances the flavour of the salted duck eggs and the tartness of the calamansi vinaigrette makes it a delightful dish that can be eaten anytime of the day.

Eat fresh and eat well. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment