Saturday, September 27, 2014

Ultimate Taste Test event at Rockwell

I attended the Ultimate Taste Test event at Rockwell tent  in Makati City today(27 September 2014) which was organized by Our Awesome Planet.

The event allows foodies to become food critics for a day as they get to sample various food from more than 50 food suppliers.  A fee of PHP600 per person was applied as entrance fee.




As I went around to visit the various food booths, I noticed that the event had more suppliers giving out sweet stuff samples to event goers than savoury food options.

I was able to meet and chat with the event organizer's wife, Rachel Diaz. I shared with her my feedback that I expected the event to have a 50-50 share of suppliers offering sweet and savoury food. She informed me that it just so happened that for this event there were more applicants offering dessert and pastry products. 

Since there were a lot of food booths and I do not want to eat too much I ended up applying mindful eating by being selective of the items that I tried.


Some of the food booths had poor presentation and the products did not look appetizing at all so I skipped those...ha ha ha just like a real food critic would do... since I felt it was just a waste of calories.


Some of the food finds that I tried which I found to be good are as follows:

1) Rellenong bangus by Fisher Farms

The rellenong bangus by Fisher Farms was created by Chef Reggie Aspiras. It is a gourmet version of the rellenong bangus and it is healthy too since it is baked.

I was informed by the booth representative that it will be available in supermarkets by November 2014.

Rellenong bangus by Fisher Farms

Fisher Farms also provides a generous tasting portion of 1 slice of the rellenong bangus which enables the samplers to appreciate the dish well. I found it to be good as it is not starchy unlike other rellenong bangus versions of other brands.

Rellenong bangus tasting sample from Fisher Farms


2) Roast chicken by Fork Play

The roast chicken by Fork Play is good. I tried the white meat portion of the chicken and it is good. It's not salty but you can really taste the flavors of the herbs and spices.

Honestly, this dish is also good when it is paired with the paella from Kulinarya.


Grilled chicken by Fork Play


3)  Paella by Kulinarya

The Paella by Kulinarya is good.  I did not even know that Kulinarya, the restaurant located at the lower floor area of Rockwell Powerplant mall, offered paella.

A lot of the people who tried the dish kept on giving positive comments about it.


Paella by Kulinarya



4) Pinkberry


For dessert, Pinkberry was just the best choice. It is yoghurt and it is healthy. They gave out 2 flavors: Cherry and Salted Caramel.  Aside from this, I really think it is also a good palate cleanser.

From my observation, it seems that adults like Salted caramel while the kids especially the girls prefer the Cherry flavor since it is colored pink.

I learned  and tried something new too. Pinkberry now offers new toppings called Sugarpova.  It is the premium gummy candy by tennis star Maria Sharapova. Plus, it is so cute to see that the lip- shaped gummy candies is called "Flirty" while the other colorful, sour and sweet candy is  called "Smitten".

I think pun was intended in naming the product "Sugarpova" as it really rhymes with Sharapova. It was fun seeing how people react when they learn that it is by Maria  Sharapova. That's really what you call brand diversity and entrepreneurship since  I remember that Sharapova also has some fashion collaboration before with Cole Haan where she designed some shoes for the brand.





"Flirty" Sugarpova gummy candies
 












 







"Smitten" Sugarpova candies




















Foodies sampling Pinkberry products

Overall, the event was okay since it gives food entrepreneurs a venue to showcase their products to consumers.  In terms of improvement, I think it would be good if for their next year event, they would have more savoury dish suppliers also since it seems that around 85% of the suppliers were offering desserts and sweet products.

It will also be good if the other food booths would also take more effort and creativity in presenting their products.  

I would say that one creative supplier was the booth selling organic greens since they offered freshly made mini pizzas using the organic greens that they are selling.  Plus, they also gave samplers an option to buy the greens and herbs they are selling either as a plant in a pot or the option to get it harvested,cut and ready for use for other dishes.

Young entrepreneurs explaining their product


Pizza prepared with fresh  & organic arugula, kale and basil

Foodies at the event


No comments:

Post a Comment