Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Japan is Truly Sushiland

I think restaurants in Japan serve the freshest and highest quality sushi. 

Whenever I talk to friends who have been to Japan they always rave about the freshest sushi that they have eaten in Japan.

During my recent Tokyo visit, I was able to go to  two good sushi restaurants. One is Heiroku Sushi in Omotesando, where our Japan-based friends treated us for a nice lunch. The other sushi restaurant I tried was Midori Sushi in Ginza which my brother said is a must-try sushi restaurant.

Heiroku Sushi is located at Omotesando area and is just a few steps away from the Louis Vuitton store in the area.

Heiroku Sushi restaurant in Omotesando

Heiroku sushi restaurant has a sushi bar type set-up where a conveyor belt carrying various freshly made sushi dishes goes around and customers can just simply get the plate of their choice.


Sushi chef prepares sushi dishes in the middle of the sushi bar.

Tuna sushi and eel sushi

Kani and crab paste sushi

Salmon sushi with avocado salad and fish roe.
Our group ate various types of sushi and paired it with freshly made hot green tea. Heiroku offers unlimited green tea which customers can easily make since they have a hot water dispenser and green tea on each table.

Our choices included salmon sushi with avocado and fish roe, tuna sashimi ,
tamago and eggplant sushi.
The staff at Heiroku Sushi includes some Filipinos. We were pleasantly surprised when we found out that one of their Sushi Chefs is a Filipino, Chef Rafael Balingit. He helps tourists with their orders since he can speak English and can easily describe each of the dishes they offer. English speaking tourists who want to try various sushi dishes can indeed avoid having a "Lost in Translation" moment when they go to Heiroku sushi.

Chef Balingit is a Filipino sushi chef we met at Heiroku Sushi.
 He has been in Tokyo for 19 years. and is simply happy making
various types of sushi everyday.

The other sushi restaurant that I went to in Tokyo was Midori Sushi.This is the one that my brother always goes to when he is in Tokyo.

It was an Amazing Race type search for me since the staff at the two information counters that I asked from at the Ginza train station gave me different directions that confused me.

It was good that I just decided to walk outside and was able to see the Peninsula Tokyo hotel where their concierge happily assisted me by giving me a map and explained how to go there from Peninsula Tokyo.

Midori Sushi is located across the Nitta Building and is at the back of the Imperial Hotel in Ginza.

NItta Building in Ginza



There are 3 easy steps to follow when  you go to Midori Sushi.

Step 1: Go to the ATM looking machine outside the restaurant to get a number.


Step 2 : Wait for your number to be called by the restaurant staff. There is always a line of people waiting outside Midori Sushi so be ready to wait for around 20 to 30 minutes. They offer free hot tea to customers waiting for their number to be called.


Step 3: Once you are inside the restaurant just request for an English menu  for easy ordering and just inform the Sushi chef or the waiter what you like to try.

Midori Sushi Menu in English version

Assorted sushi platter for only JPY2,000 (around USD20)
The Sushi chef assigned to me speaks a bit of English so I had no problem ordering the dishes that I wanted. Plus, I just pointed to the menu with photos of the various sushi dishes when I placed my order.

The sushi chef taking my order spoke to me in English.

I ordered the Broiled Fish/seafood Sushi assortment since I wanted to try something different.

The sushi chef torches the seafood sushi assortment.

The  Broiled seafood sushi assortment for just JPY800 (around USD 8 per order). It
includes salmon, tuna, squid, shrimp with melted cheese and enggawa fish.
.
Eel sushi rolls

Sushi platter is a common order for a big group

If you like to try other cooked dishes, try the Tuna dish which comes with some salad. It seems that this is often ordered by the customers who like to drink some sake or beer. This is what the locals who were seated beside me on the sushi bar ordered and they paired it with beer.


The Midori sushi chefs are always busy preparing sushi since they only prepare the sushi after it has been ordered by customers.


Ordering is easy since apart from their English menu, the walls of the entire restaurant is filled with photos of various dishes which also include prices. One can simply point to the photo of their chosen dish in order to make sure that their order is understood by the waiter.


Both locals and tourists frequent Midori Sushi for lunch and dinner


I will definitely go back to Midori Sushi next time I am in Ginza area in Tokyo. They simply offer affordable and high quality sushi. My favourite is the Broiled Seafood Sushi Assortment which included a shrimp topped with melted cheese. It is so yummy.

Japan is truly Sushiland.

No comments:

Post a Comment